We at Bethel Lutheran Church are resuming our call process for a new pastor. Our last full-time pastor made the decision to retire after 5 years of dedicated service in 2016. To fill the void, we have had a wonderful part-time pastor leading us; however, we want to get back to a full-time pastor.
We are located in the wonderful rural community of Parkersburg, Iowa. It is just under 2000 people and near the larger cities of Waterloo and Cedar Falls. We serve the communities of Aplington and Parkersburg, along with the surrounding communities. Our current membership is 214 with the average Sunday Church attendance being 82. The Aplington-Parkersburg School District is a great system that is full of pride for their students. With a small town atmosphere, this growing community is a great place to raise a family.
Our church has experienced a decline in our membership and weekly attendance. We are, therefore, looking for a pastor to focus on building our congregation not only spiritually to current members, but also expand our membership and attendance. We would also like to expand our small group Bible studies as well as our after school children’s program.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Preach and teach the Word of God
- Lead weekly Sunday worship as well as special worship services
- Promote and lead adult Bible studies
- Coordinate with church committees
- Be a non-voting member of the Church Council
- Minister and visit with members that are shut-in, hospitalized, or live in a retirement home
- Lead the confirmation process
- Be involved with the youth programs
Expectations of the pastor:
- Be a Christian role model for the community
- Live in the parsonage provided adjacent to the church
- Have an active involvement in the community
- Be outgoing and dedicated to the congregation and building the church
- Have strong communication with the congregation and church council
- Possess strong computer skills
Individuals interested in this position should send their resumes to BethelParkersburgChair@gmail.com.