Grant Info & Application Form: Download PDF
Vision: To support the needs of victims of catastrophic natural disasters with a spirit of sharing God's love.
Mission: To demonstrate the love of Christ as we respond to natural disasters through local congregations.
Core Value: To carry out our work with the servant attitude of Jesus who said, "I did not come to be served, but to serve" (Mathew 20:28), and "As the Father sent Me, so I send you." (John 20:21)
According to the front page of the October 10, 2012 USA Today, natural catastrophes in the U.S. have skyrocketed from 63 in 1980 to 250 in 2010. Superstorm Sandy (October 22-31, 2012) is our most recent reminder of increasing natural disasters.
During the LCMC’s October 2012 Annual Conference, the LCMC Board of Directors approved the establishment of a Lutheran Disaster Assistance Fund to provide emergency relief assistance to victims of natural disasters. St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Marion, Iowa, will administer the Lutheran Disaster Assistance Fund (LDA Fund). Grants of up to $10,000 will be available for relief aid in the wake of tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, ice storms, wildfires, flooding, and similar natural disasters.
Monies are currently being collected for the implementation of this program. Each LCMC congregation is asked to prayerfully consider being a part of this mission. Contributions of $100 to $10,000 or more will be welcomed and can be submitted by check or money order to:
Lutheran Disaster Assistance Fund
c/o St. Mark’s Lutheran Church
8300 C Avenue NE
Marion, IA 52302
- 100% of all contributions to the LDA Fund will go toward disaster relief grants
- The goal of the Fund is to reach out to those impacted by disaster who otherwise would not have resources.
- Grant decisions will be made by a committee made up of representatives from 5 contributing churches (one representative per congregation).
- Grants will be limited to 50% of monies available at any given time, so as to not totally deplete the Fund in response to a single disaster.
- If, in the future, the LDA Fund is no longer needed, is replaced or is not supported, a process of termination shall be initiated. This will be determined by a consensus of the current administrator and the 5 contributing church representatives. Any remaining funds on hand will be sent to the LCMC office for disbursement to their greatest need.
- Refer to the LDA Fund Grant Criteria and Application Instructions for more details.
Log in to add a comment
Click Here For Content Archives