Minutes - Business Section - 8th Annual Gathering
The Honorable G. Barry Anderson called the convention to order in business session at 3:08 P.M. on Monday, September 29, 2008
Anderson was appointed to serve as temporary convention chair for the 2008 LCMC convention. Sue McKenzie was appointed to serve as temporary convention secretary.
M/S/P To nominate Barry Anderson to serve as permanent convention chair for 2008
M/S/P To nominate Sue McKenzie to serve as permanent convention secretary for the 2008 convention.
There were no other nominations.
M/S/P To close nominations and elect Barry Anderson as convention chair and Sue McKenzie as recording secretary for the 2008 convention.
The chair moved to the proposed rules of the convention as presented in the convention binder.
M/S/P To adopt the Convention Rules 1 through 10 as proposed.
M/S/P To authorize the chair to appoint a Credentials Committee for the convention.
The chair appointed Pastor Tony Stoutenburg , with the assistance of Mrs. Sharon MacFadyen (LCMC Director of Operations/ Financial Secretary), to the credentials committee.
MacFadyen reported that there are 83 congregations represented, with a total of 278 people registered, 156 of these are delegates.
M/S/P To accept the report of the Credentials Committee.
The chair moved to the minutes of the previous convention. With no corrections or revisions, the chair entertained a motion to accept the minutes as presented.
M/S/P To approve the minutes of the 2007 LCMC convention as presented.
Mr. Kirk Dean presented the Treasurer's report.
Kirk Dean reported on the annual audit. One issue to report: $27,000 accounts receivable. Dean explained that amounts received after December 31 cannot be counted for that calendar year. We are a microcosm of today's economy63% of cong have supported LCMC regularlyMany expenses have gone up. We continue to try to be as efficient as possible. Changes to the computer system and the website have been major expenses. Travel and insurance for the districts are also increased expenses.
(Dean called Sharon MacFadyen up to speak to the pension fund.)
MacFayden reported that the IRS has changed some of the regulations in regards to pensions. This is primarily an accounting change. We are going to automate the reporting. All accounts will be automatically withdrawn from the congregation’s checking account. Congregations will need to work with Sharon to get this set up. This should make distributions faster and easier.
M/S/P To accept the treasurer’s report
M/S/P To approve the apportionment of areas for election of trustees for October 2009 as presented under Tab 7, as recommended by the board of trustees.
The chair opened the floor to old business. There was no old business.
The chair opened the floor to new business.
Resolution on church planting made by Eric Hulstrand
1) Matthew 28 gives us the Great Commission where we are to go and make disciples of all people; the church's primary responsibility is to evangelize those who do not know Jesus Christ, and
2) in today's world it has been shown in numerous studies that the most effective way to turn non-attenders into attenders is through planting new churches, and
3) since Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ is committed to being a flat church hierarchically, does this negate all possibility of joint ministry the association could do together?;therefore be it
1) that the Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ engage in a comprehensive, prayerful study on the best method(s) to effectively plant churches in the United States and in other parts of the world; and therefore, be it
2) that this Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ gathering pass a motion for the governing board to appoint a task force to study the question of what is the most effective method(s) for this Association to use in planting churches to reach the lost in Jesus' name using the collective power of our Association; and therefore, be it
3) that this task force report back to the 2009 National gathering its findings and recommendations, where possible further action may then be taken.
Several people spoke to the question:
Paul Spaulding asked, how can we as an organization be true to our organizational style? Spoke in favor
Perry Toso spoke in favor of the resolution. He stated that we need something more structured.
Bill Cox asked a question: Can the idea of a church plant loan program be included in the task force charge?
Ron Winslow reported that Thrivent will match funds.
Bobby Leggett asked that we keep to the details.
M/S/P For the governing board to appoint a task force to study the question of what is the most effective method(s) for this Association to use in planting churches to reach the lost in Jesus' name using the collective power of our Association; and that this task force report back to the 2009 National gathering its findings and recommendations, where possible further action may then be taken
M/S/P To recess. 3:40pm
M/S/P To adjourn the business session of the 2008 annual convention and gathering of Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ.
NOTE #1: Areas 2, 3, 4 and 7 met in caucus to nominate candidates for seats on the board of trustees. Areas 4 & 2 held uncontested elections; returning to service on the board of trustee is Mrs. Sue McKenzie and electing Rev. Rebecca Lee. Newly elected to serve from the other Areas are Mrs. Ann Gran and Rev. John Waak
Minutes in PDF FormatDownload File
Click Here For Content Archives