Heritage Lutheran Church
Brandon, South Dakota, United States
- Address: 1600 South Shafer Drive, Brandon, South Dakota 57110
- Affiliation: LCMC / NALC
- Contact: Beth Hindbjorgen, Call Committee Chair
- Phone: 605.321.6448
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Click Here
- Category: Pastoral Ministry
- Position Title: Pastor
- Position Type: Full Time
Heritage Lutheran Church, an NALC/LCMC congregation in Brandon, South Dakota is seeking a new pastor. We are looking for a pastor who can preach and teach the Gospel in all its purity and to administer the sacraments in good order. This pastor will have primary responsibility for pastoral duties at Heritage Lutheran Church in Brandon, SD, including once a month service at Heritage Lutheran Church in Dell Rapids, SD. The search process will be open until the position is filled.
Desired personal characteristics and qualifications
1. Strong foundation in confessional Lutheranism based on the Book of Concord.
2. Strong emphasis on Scripture as the ultimate authority and norm for all matters.
3. Ability to plan and lead a variety of worship styles and services.
4. Ability to lead Sunday morning Adult Bible Study.
5. Support of Heritage Lutheran Church’s mission to Go, Make, Baptize and Teach
6. Willingness and ability to teach Confirmation.
7. Willingness and ability to work with youth ministry.
8. Willingness and ability to communicate across generations.
9. Strong communication skills that enable one to balance lay-led leadership with the ability to lead in a congregation that has one pastor and little if any paid staff.
10. Support of Heritage Lutheran’s emphasis on mission
11. Willingness to maintain and enhance Heritage Lutheran’s presence in the community
12. Willingness to visit homebound, sick, hospitalized, elderly, and other members as needed.
13. Ability to help congregational leadership identify and encourage members’ time/talents.
14. Other duties and responsibilities as requested by Council
The ideal pastor will have a Master of Divinity degree from an accredited seminary and will preach, teach, and perform duties in accordance with the requirements outlined in the congregational bylaws. In addition, the ideal pastor should have the experience of having served in at least one congregational call before coming to Heritage Lutheran. The called pastor must be authorized/accepted by being on the active clergy roster of the LCMC and/or NALC at the time the call begins. All candidates must successfully pass a background check.
It is expected that the ideal pastor will meet the qualifications listed above. At the same time, a call issued to the pastor will also be influenced by the direction of the Holy Spirit. As such, we are open to a pastoral candidate who could strengthen our congregation in the areas of music, mission and outreach, stewardship, staffing, and planning/implementing long-range strategic plans. An ideal pastor could help build upon our strong lay-led foundation and lead us to become even stronger.
Submission of materials
Please send electronically a cover letter of interest, a resume, and the names of 3 references to Beth Hindbjorgen at email@example.com. All information will be kept confidential. The search process will be open until the position is filled.
HERITAGE LUTHERAN CHURCH CONGREGATIONAL PROFILE
Formed in 2010, Heritage Lutheran Church is affiliated with both the North American Lutheran Church (NALC) and Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC). Our church is a two-point parish with sites in Brandon, SD and Dell Rapids, SD.
We believe our Lord Jesus Christ has given us the mission to go, make, baptize, and teach disciples for him. (Matthew 28:19-20) Trusting the Bible and the Lutheran Confessions, we are a congregation of disciples affiliated with both LCMC and NALC. With Jesus Christ, the Word of God, as our cornerstone, we honor our heritage and pass on our faith through this congregation of disciples being built one upon another as living stones. To this end we understand that:
- Jesus CALLS us to be his disciples in the preaching of His Word.
- Jesus PREPARES us for mission through the study of His Word.
- Jesus SENDS us out with His Word to go, make, baptize, and teach disciples.
Check out our new website for more information about our mission and ministry, recent sermons, newsletter, calendar and other information. Please be sure to use the following link: https://www.heritagelutheranchurch.com
Time: Sundays, 10:15 am in Brandon, 10:00 am in Dell Rapids.
Style: Four Settings, Combination of Traditional and Contemporary
Communion Each Sunday
Youth Sunday School for children from 2 years old - sixth grade
Confirmation Wednesday evenings during school year (Led by Pastor/Catechists)
High School Wednesday evenings during school year (Led by Pastor)
Adult Sunday morning Bible Study each Sunday morning
Men’s Bible Study, Tuesday morning
Women’s Bible Study, Tuesday morning
Bridges Bible Study Groups
Heritage Lutheran Brandon: Almost 300 members, with average Sunday worship attendance of 103 and average Adult Bible Study attendance of 32. Nine-member Church Council, President - Ron Schwint Mark Morrell – Lay minister
Heritage Lutheran Dell Rapids: Eighteen members, with Sunday Worship attendance of 12-16 and average Adult Bible Study attendance of 7. Three-member Church Council, President - Robert Risty Susan Hertz – Lay minister
Call Committee: Nine members, Chair – Beth Hindbjorgen
The Community of Brandon
Heritage Lutheran Church is located in Brandon, one of the fastest growing communities in South Dakota. With a population of almost of 10,000, the city’s vibrant business community, excellent school system and location have made it the place to “Build a Better Life.” Only 7 miles from Sioux Falls, South Dakota’s largest city, Brandon has all the options of big-city life with the small-town feel. https://www.brandonvalleychamber.com
The Brandon Valley School District is one of the most highly rated districts in South Dakota. The school district represents parents and patrons who demand excellence and support all programs making student success a priority. The student enrollment continues to grow each year indicating that the schools are a focal point for the community. https://brandonvalley.k12.sd.us/district/home.htm
The Community of Dell Rapids
Dell Rapids South Dakota is a small community of 3,650 people found along the Big Sioux River and a short 20 minutes north of Sioux Falls. Dell Rapids is rich in history dating back to 1871. The town’s historic district is its primary business center, offering unique gifts, entertainment, and dining opportunities. http://dellrapidschamber.com
Heritage Lutheran Church
117 Sandstone Avenue
P.O. Box 781
Brandon, SD 57005
Beth Hindbjorgen, Call Committee Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org