St Matthew Lutheran Church
127 S. High Street
Position: Music Minister
Reports to: Primarily the pastor secondarily the council
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Leads, coordinates, and oversees a vibrant and intergenerational music ministry in the congregation; schedules musicians for each service and fills in for the pianist/organist in their absence.
- Encourages the congregation to participate in congregational song, while working to introduce new hymns and liturgies.
- Directs, rehearses, mentors, encourages, and coaches the adult choir using a variety of sacred music
- Maintains copyright licensing agreements
- Manages the Music budget; purchases music, music equipment and supplies staying within the boundaries of the church budget.
- Works collegially with St. Matthew’s staff and volunteers. Participates in all meetings relevant to the music ministries. Serves as chairperson of the music committee.
- Seeks to bring special music opportunities to St. Matthew (e.g. visiting choirs, etc.) and strives to join other churches in joint projects (e.g. United Churches of Galena Christmas Concert, etc.)
- Actively recruits musicians to participate in the music ministry.
- Seeks to develop relationships with other church musicians and to keep abreast with developments in Worship and Music.
- Be consistently available for all regular church services as well as special services (Lent, etc.) and occasional services (Funerals, etc.).
- Has a strong commitment to Jesus Christ and a willingness to spread the Gospel
- Demonstrates proficiency on both piano and organ also sight reading, and choral directing.
- Experience preferred in directing music ministries.
- Possesses a self-motivated and positive attitude.
- Possesses personal and professional organizational skills.