Position: Lead Pastor
Christ Lutheran Church
Odessa, Washington, United States
- Address: 602 Amende St., Mailing: P.O. Box 400, Odessa, Washington 99159
- Affiliation: LCMC
- Contact: Shelly Hauge
- Phone: 509.988.0824
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Click Here
- Category: Pastoral Ministry
- Sub-Category: Senior Pastor
- Position Title: Lead Pastor
- Position Type: Full Time
Christ Lutheran Church of Odessa, Washington is a congregation of Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ, LCMC. We seek to be a fellowship of Christian believers who welcome all people with joy and the peace that enlightens us all in the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Our congregation has been located in Odessa, Washington since 1901. Its roots are the German Russian immigrants who settled in this area around the turn of the century and into the first years of the 1900’s. The current building in use was constructed in 1958. Odessa is a farming community in Eastern Washington State where our farmers grow wheat, potatoes, hay, grass, and various other vegetable crops such as onions, peas, corn, canola, etc. There are also a number of cattle ranchers in our area. Currently our membership percentages include a large number tied in one way or another to agriculture. However, we have a diverse mix of people who work at our local school, hospital and other business ventures. With God’s help and blessings of His Holy Spirit, we strive to be a mission outreaching congregation. We encourage all our members and friends of the congregation to live the Gospel in word and deed. We pray that you might do the same in your place of life and worship! Currently we offer Sunday morning Christian educational opportunities for youth, preschool through high school as well as for adults in our Sunday morning adult forum. Adult Bible study is also offered mid-week, September through early June. We strive to be relevant in our worship and proclamation not being afraid to try new instruments in worship and active learning style teaching for youth and adults.
Christ Lutheran Church provides for its Pastor and family a six-bedroom, two full bath and ½ bath, two car garage parsonage located next door to our Church property.
Pastor's Job Description / Responsibilities:
- Oversee the preaching and teaching ministry of the church
- Deliver services on Sunday morning and other services as scheduled
- Prepare sermons based on Holy Scripture
- Teach Bible studies, Adult Sunday School, and/or other classes as needed, including Confirmation class in accordance with Luther’s Small Catechism each Wednesday during the school year, membership classes and premarital counseling.
- Oversee baptismal and membership process
- Oversee the distribution of Holy Communion
- Have a presence at Sunday School (lead Adult Sunday School), Youth Group, and other youth activities
- Develop meaningful relationships with members of our congregation, other area churches, and the community overall
- Make home, assisted living, nursing home, and hospital visits to those members who are confined and provide communion to those who are unable to attend worship services
- Implement ministries that reach out to the unchurched, inactive, and new area residents of our community with the Good News of Jesus Christ
- Assist Church Secretary in maintaining church records
- Attend and become involved in community and school events
- Be able to display leadership and a good example in your public and personal home life
- Support Church Council
- Attend all Church Council meetings and contribute in a non-voting advisory capacity
- Participate with the Church Council in the growth of our ministry plan
- Carry out decisions of the Church Council
- Regularly report to the Church Council
- Member Care
- Pray regularly for the people and the ministries of Christ Lutheran Church
- Be available for pastoral counseling as needs arise and abilities permit
- Oversee and perform weddings and funerals
- Personal Development and Care
- Take adequate time each week to study Scripture and books to keep informed on matters of ministry, which provides nourishment for the soul
- Attend a college/seminary course retreat, or conference yearly for ministry development and for personal spiritual refreshment
- Take two days off each week
- Ensure that the Church Council, church staff, and lay leaders are equipped to provide effective congregational care
- Be directly accountable to and take ministry direction from the Church Council
- Make no commitment to capital expenditures, even though budgeted, without prior Church Council approval
- A performance evaluation will be conducted by the Church Council annually
- This job description will be reviewed annually by the Church Council
- Pastoral Care
- Provide leadership for all church staff functions, including duties of directing the priorities of all staff and evaluations if their efforts regularly in conjunction with church leadership; and assuring consistency with the overall direction of the church’s priorities in implementing the church’s strategic plan
- Participation in meeting the spiritual needs of the church members and friends when called upon to do so
- Maintain strict confidentiality in all matters of a personal nature.
- Work in conjunction with staff to conduct visitation in order to remain close to the needs of the church’s congregants
- Master of Divinity preferred.
- LCMC Certification preferred.
Facebook: Odessa Christ Lutheran Church
Lutheran SE Asia Ministries
Once a month services at Odessa Memorial Healthcare nursing home
Confirmation Class every Wednesday after school
9:30 Youth and Adult Sunday School with 10:30 Worship Service
Holy Communion 1st, 3rd and 5th Sundays
Community Youth Group
Women’s Group and Bible Study
Men’s Group and Bible Study
Media Screens and software/sound system for worship
Community Vacation Bible School
Odessa, a vibrant community of approximately 1,000 residents, is located within the geographically unique area known as the Channeled Scablands of Eastern Washington. Visitors and residents enjoy a safe, warm, and friendly atmosphere in close proximity to outdoor recreational areas and reasonable traveling distance to urban amenities. We are a community where integrity, security and community are the rule, rather than the exception making it an ideal place to raise a family.
Connected to the world by modern technology, business opportunities are expanding beyond the traditional agricultural base. Citizens of Odessa rely on our dependable infrastructure, outstanding schools, accomplished hospital and our very competitive commerce.
The community of Odessa offers:
Reiman Park and aquatic facility
Nine-hole golf course
RV Park/hookup sites
Hiking or horseback riding trail on BLM Pacific Lake Trail
Odessa School District (K-12)
Odessa Memorial Health Care Center featuring hospital, swing bed and emergency services, including Life Flight air transportation services, and nursing home.
Odessa Medical Clinic
Quail Court Assisted Living Apartments Facility
Odessa Community Center and Library
Odessa Old Town Hall
Odessa Historic Museum
Odessa Deutschfest annual festival (3rd weekend in September)
Odessa Christmas Annual Festival (1st Wednesday in December)
Odessa Annual Spring Fling and Car Show
Desert 100 and White Knuckle off-road motorcycle races
Odessa Healthcare Foundation annual wine tasting and auction
Odessa Booster Club dinner and auction
Civic Groups include Odessa Chamber of Commerce, Lions Club, Odessa Historic Society, Odessa Volunteer Fire Department, Odessa Community Ministerial, Odessa Healthcare Foundation, women’s softball teams, Odessa Rider’s Club, 4-H Club, Future Farmers of America, Odessa Public Development Authority, Odessa Food Bank
Five area churches namely, Christ Lutheran Church, Zion-Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Heritage Church, Odessa Foursquare Church, St. Joseph’s Catholic Church
If, after prayerful consideration you believe you are interested in becoming our next Pastor, please submit your resume to the Call Committee at email@example.com, or mail to Christ Lutheran Church, P.O. Box 400, Odessa, WA 99159.
- Oversee the preaching and teaching ministry of the church