Faith Community Lutheran Church
Slayton, Minnesota, United States
- Address: 2554 Broadway Avenue, Slayton, Minnesota 56172-1155
- Affiliation: LCMC
- Contact: Liz Schuur
- Phone: 612.670.3072
- Email: email@example.com
- Category: Pastoral Ministry
- Sub-Category: Senior Pastor
- Position Title: Pastor
- Position Type: Full Time
Faith Community Lutheran Church, LCMC
Our community seeks an Ordained Minister or one who has met the commonly held standards for clergy, recognized and/or licensed as a Minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, or a leader who can provide proof of ongoing study towards that goal. Called Pastor will become and be considered a member of this congregation but will have no voting power.
We are a new congregation, having established as a parish in 2021, lay-led and youth inspired. We want very much to follow the Bible, be Christ-filled, Christ led, Christ centered.
We have approximately 75 families listed as members, representing roughly 250 persons. Our Sunday School program supports 70+ children ages pre-school to Confirmation, with 33 young adults in the Confirmation program. Saturday worship is usually attended by 30-45 members, while Sunday mornings see 40-70+
Our congregation has an exceptional group of volunteers who make up the many teams that guide the children through their Sunday School studies, present special music, play the piano for worship services, construct worship bulletins, create beautiful banners and paraments, lead adult Bible studies, coordinate supply pastors, tend to altar needs, vacuum floors and scrub toilets. We all, do it all.
We are sheep, gathered together, worshiping and thriving, seeking our shepherd.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF PASTORAL LEADER
- Preach and teach the Word of God as revealed in the Old and New Testaments;
- Conduct weekly worship services. Currently, worship is scheduled early Saturday evening and again on Sunday morning.
- Celebrate Holy Communion regularly, Administer the Sacraments of Holy Baptism as needed, preside over confirmations, officiate at weddings and funerals, and provide other services that will support this congregation;
- Assist in the teaching ministry of this congregation so that together, all may be strengthened in the faith and love for Jesus Christ;
- Teach, prepare and nurture the young people as they seek to know God and become eligible for the Rite of Confirmation and discover ways to continue keeping them engaged, beyond.
- Minister to all the members of this congregation according to their needs, visiting members as a service of pastoral care, and providing Communion to those who are unable to bodily join in worship;
- Lead, inspire, train and equip members of this congregation in fulfilling their responsibilities to witness for Christ in their neighborhoods, their towns, the county and beyond;
- Partner with other Ministry Teams or organizations of this congregation attending such gatherings when invited;
- Seek out other ways of serving the community, enlisting the help of any other congregation support system as needed; become a part of the SW Minnesota Ministerial Coalition;
- Record promptly and properly all pastoral acts in accordance with the traditions of this congregation –i.e., baptisms, confirmations, marriages, funerals, communion and membership for the purposes of historical records. Such recordings and record keeping may become the responsibility of a designated lay person, at the pastor’s discretion and with Church Council approval;
- Serve as advisory member of the Church Council, engaging with Council Members as necessary, but having no voting power.
The farming community of Slayton (pop.1,998 as of 2021) offers:
- County seat for Murray County including the Murray County Fairgrounds, used year-round by various organizations
- Murray County Central Schools, including Early Childhood through 12th grade (Go, Rebels!) along with other early childhood/preschool options
- Murray County Medical Center with state-of-the-art hospital and medical clinic services plus local chiropractors, dentists and optometrists
- Active Chamber of Commerce supported by a variety of vibrant downtown businesses including a fitness center, 2 banks, a lumber yard, CPA’s, attorneys, a pharmacy, a bakery, several boutiques, coffee shops and more
- Community Center, Library, Fire Department, Ambulance Services
- A variety of family owned, family atmosphere restaurants
- Family-owned grocery store, and a “Dollar” store
- A community swimming pool, three city parks, several area recreational lakes providing ample opportunities for boating and fishing;
- Annual community events including the County Fair, the Autumn Boutique, Draft Horse competitions and many annual parades and celebrations held in Slayton and neighboring communities
- Local private airport
- Six local churches of various faiths
- Local golf course, plus others nearby
- Public Library with computer lab and meeting rooms
- Senior Living, Senior Center and a Hospice Center
- Very active 4-H Clubs, Friends of the Library, Slayton Historical Society, summer softball, a fun-loving (mostly adult) community band
- Kiwanis, Lions Club (nearby Hadley), Slayton Women of Today, Masonic Lodge
We are located in the SW corner of Minnesota, only 80 minutes from Sioux Falls, SD, their airport and shopping conveniences. We are also just 42 minutes from Marshall, MN, home to the South West State University campus and also Minnesota West Community and Technical College. Minneapolis/St Paul is north, a bit over 3 hours away. And, heading east, Rochester, home to the Mayo Clinic, is just a 3 hour drive.