Position: Discipleship Pastor
Light of the Desert
Cave Creek, Arizona, United States
- Address: 33175 North Cave Creek Road, Cave Creek, Arizona 85331
- Affiliation: LCMC
- Contact: Paul Witkop
- Phone: 480.488.2716
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: Click Here
- Category: Pastoral Ministry
- Position Title: Discipleship Pastor
- Position Type: Full Time
Thank you for your interest in our Discipleship Pastor position.
Light of the Desert is searching for a dynamic and creative ministry leader who can reach adults, students, and families and help them become disciples of Jesus Christ. This is a full-time salaried position. We are especially committed to reaching new generations in our north Phoenix neighborhood. We are praying for someone who…
- Loves Jesus passionately and is committed to a daily personal quiet time
- Loves people and developing friendships with people who have faith and those who are not followers—especially young adults and students
- Is trustworthy—someone in whom others can trust and confide
- Reads, respects, teaches, and lives by God’s Word
- Has a strong grace-based theology and is compatible with a Lutheran expression
- Uses prayer constantly for self and others
- Listens well
- Empowers others by sharing leadership
- Leads well by words and example and inspires others
- Understands and supports the mission of Light of the Desert and works strategically to advance the mission
We invite you to read the following information about Light of the Desert and the job description. If this aligns with your passion and gifts, then please….
- Send us your resume.
- Ask at least two individuals to send a letter of reference. We prefer that one of your references is a pastor and one is someone who has directly supervised you.
We will be reviewing applications and setting up phone interviews and personal interviews in the Fall of 2018.
For more information, please contact:
Pastor Paul Witkop
Light of the Desert Ministry Vision
Light of the Desert is located in the northeast part of Phoenix. We serve the communities of Cave Creek, Carefree, Scottsdale, Desert Hills, Anthem, and Tramonto in addition to Phoenix itself. Our area is both suburban and rural. Many people in our area have horse farms. We are very close to some small mountains and many hiking trails.
Light of the Desert is a community of people who love Jesus Christ and want to invite others into a growing relationship with him. Our mission is “to share the light and love of Jesus Christ with the world so that all people may know God.” We represent all ages and stages of life. From our inception, our dream has been that students and young adults are a high priority and a vital part of the community.
We desire that all followers of Jesus experience healthy growing relationships and discover and invest their unique gifts for the sake of God’s mission to the world. Our mission is to invite and equip people to follow Jesus who then will invite more people to follow Jesus. We believe that Jesus wants to transform each of us. He does his transforming work through the gift of grace and through the inspired word of God. He gives us faith to live our life in appreciation. We are blessed to be a blessing.
At Light of the Desert, we believe that Jesus has called us to live in three dimensions:
We live …
- Up – connecting more closely with Jesus
- In – connecting with, encouraging and challenging one another
- Out – connecting with sharing the love of Jesus with others
Light of the Desert is part of Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ. The values and beliefs of LCMC are best understood from the website www.lcmc.net. We have been a church since 1995 and have been in our first facility since Christmas of 2010. Our average Sunday worship attendance is approximately two hundred.
Discipleship Pastor Job Description
- Join with other staff to grow and empower committed disciples
- Discipleship includes teaching adults, junior high students, high school students, young adults and families to disciple others
- Assist in planning and leading regular weekly worship
- Assist with other pastor activities such as visitation, teaching/preaching, counseling, praying, and wider community involvement
- Find creative ways to build relationships with all people. This includes Light of the Desert members, as well as, people from the wider community. Examples could include fun events, school activities, mission trips, concerts, one on one discipleship, service projects, camps, retreats and other opportunities for gathering and mentoring
- Build and equip a group of leaders who will pray for and support the LOD ministries
- Participate in leadership huddles, and other key leadership meetings with our Director of Worship, part-time Director of Special Music, part-time Director of Children’s Ministries, and part-time Administrative Assistant
- Network with other area leaders for effective outreach
- Participate in regular continuing education and life-long learning
- Maintain positive and open communication
- Develop and monitoring annual budgets and specific events to support ministry activities
How will Light of the Desert support you?
- Disciple, mentor, and come along side you to support and encourage you
- Involve you in weekend worship, according to your gifts
- Help you to develop congregation support teams
- Encourage you to be creative, to use technology and social media
- Prioritize adequate funds for creative ministries
- Provide feedback and goal setting and a support committee
- Provide an office and a pleasant workplace environment
- Provide compensation and benefits commensurate with your gifts and experience