“We seek to live God’s word by learning, proclaiming, serving, and praising enthusiastically with all our heart, mind, strength and soul for the building of the Family of Christ.” That is our mission at Bethel Lutheran Church and we are searching for a full time Pastor to lead us in that mission.
Bethel is located in the beautiful rural community of Parkersburg, Iowa and serves the surrounding communities, including Aplington and New Hartford. With our location near the larger cities of Waterloo and Cedar Falls, we are able to offer the small town atmosphere with the conveniences of a larger city. We are a community of just under 2,000 resilient people having gone through a tornado in 2008 that destroyed half our town. The town has rebuilt nicely and offers many amenities including a doctor/therapy offices, a city pool, restaurants, two golf courses, and an All Play Ballpark just to mention a few. The Aplington-Parkersburg School District is a great school system that is full of pride for their students both academically and athletically. With the small town atmosphere, this growing community is a great place to raise a family. The parsonage is even right across from the elementary school and within walking distance to the high school.
By following our mission, we are looking for a pastor to work together with us to build up our congregation spiritually in love and service, as well as expand our membership and attendance.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Preach and teach the Word of God
- Lead weekly Sunday worship as well as special worship services
- Promote and lead adult Bible studies
- Direct and coordinate with church committees
- Minister and visit with members that are shut-in, hospitalized, or live in a retirement home
- Lead the confirmation process
- Be involved with the youth programs
Expectations of the pastor:
- Live a life of love just as Christ loved us
- Live in the parsonage provided adjacent to the church
- Have an active involvement in the community
- Be a warm and outgoing shepherd dedicated to the congregation and building up the church
- Have strong communication with the congregation and church council
- Possess strong computer skills
Individuals interested in this position should send their resumes to BethelParkersburgChair@gmail.com.