How is Lutheran World Relief Responding?
LWR's Philippines staff are now coordinating with our partners to mobilize staff and resources to respond to the most urgent needs.
- Shelter: LWR will provide shelter repair kits to families whose homes were damaged in the typhoon.
- Cash programs: LWR will employ residents of three municipalities in Northern Cebu in short-term work assignments removing debris from public spaces, helping to get cash into the hands of those who need it.
- Household supplies: LWR will provide families who have lost their belongings with essential household supplies such as cooking utensils and plates.
- Quilts and Kits: LWR is shipping Personal Care Kits, Baby Care Kits, School Kits and Quilts, which will be distributed to more than 26,000 families.
How Can I Get Involved?
There are several ways you can help respond to the needs of the people of the Philippines:
- Please pray for those affected by Super Typhoon Haiyan and for all who are working to respond in the aftermath of the storm.
- Give to the Philippines Typhoon fund. Your cash donations help LWR respond quickly to emerging needs on the ground. LWR accepts gifts online, by phone at (800) 597-5972 or by mail at Lutheran World Relief, P.O Box 17061, Baltimore MD 21297-1061.
- Please consider assembling Quilts and Kits so that we have stock to respond to this and other emerging situations around the world.
Click Here for congregational resources including text for bulletins/e-news/newsletter, a video of LWR's VP for International Programs providing an update on our response, and bulletin inserts. Also available: a Powerpoint, prayers/petitions, sermon starters, and a children’s sermon.
Click Here For Content Archives